Surmala Hindustani Classical Music Concert
From 2 PM – 5 PM
VOCALIST: Shubha Chaki
Accompanied by: Dilip Acharya on Harmonium, Ajay Sundar Raj on Tabla and Harinder Singh on Mandolin
INSTRUMENTALIST – SAROD: Ben Kunin
Accompanied by: Omkar Bhave on Tabla
SHUBHA CHAKI – VOCALIST
Shubha Chaki was initiated into Hindustani Classical music at the tender age of 4 by her aunt Smt. Sheela Das. She was fortunate enough to receive training of the extempore-style Khayal gayaki in the tradition of Gwalior Gharana, under the tutelage of Late Pt. Gangadhar Buwa Pimpalkhare in Pune who was Guru-Bhai to Pt. Bhimsen Joshi.
She continued to train further from several luminaries like Dr. Smt. Veena Sahasrabuddhe for few years and then with Dr. Vikas Kashalkar of Gwalior Gharana who is disciple of guru Pt. Gajananrao Joshi, a stalwart of this Gharana himself. Her gayaki is also influenced by Kirana and Banaras Gharanas.
- Shubha is a recipient of junior as well as senior National Talent Search (NTS) Scholarship awarded by the Govt. of India for Hindustani Classical at the age of 12 and 20, respectively.
- She was among the top 12 participants in Zee TV Hero Honda Sa Re Ga Ma Pa for the ‘Golden Voice’ hunt in 2003 for the state level contest.
- She was one of the finalists in International Indian Icon 2018 held in Chicago and was the 1st runner up for CA state icon.
- Recently, she was one of the 25 finalists from all over the world for Khazana Ghazal contest judged by Pankaj Udhas, Rekha Bhardwaj, Anoop Jalota, Talat Aziz…
- Shubha was a regular artist at All India Radio, Pune since childhood and also has been featured here on Radio Mirchi 1310, in the Bay area.
- Currently she is a regular performing artist for various Indian classical dance productions (Kathak and Bharatnatyam) and has composed music for dance dramas. Some of those are – Anokhi Ada, Chitrangada, Kannada dance drama, Ethnic Dance Festival etc.
- Some of her recent performances have been at Mausaki Cafe Series, Shaam-e-ghazal, Meri Bhavna, Gaye Jaa Muskuraye Jaa (Punjabi), PRAGNYA, Kathak productions in Tahoe and Bay area, Ek Shaam Rafi ke naam and her upcoming ones include Ghazal ki Shaam Jagjit Singh ke naam, Mausaki-Jazba and so on…
DILIP ACHARYA – HARMONIUM (Accompanying Shubha)
Dilip Acharya is a student of Indian Classical music. He earned his Sangeet Visharad in vocal music from Pracheen Kala Kendra, Chandigarh. As an All India Radio Artiste, he performed Bhajans, Folk songs & Sugam Sangeet. He is also passionate about singing and composing Ghazals and has performed in many concerts in the US.
He is a self-taught Harmonium player and has the good fortune of accompanying in Hindusthani Classical concerts with Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan, Pt. Sandip Ghosh, Vidushi Bharati Pratap, Smt. Suchita Rao and many others. He is currently learning Hindustani classical vocal music from Shri Shirshendu Mukherjee, who is a scholar at ITC, SRA and is a student of Pt. Ajay Chakravorty.
AJAY SUNDAR RAJ – TABLA (Accompanying Shubha)
Ajay Sundar Raj, a tabla & music enthusiast, is a disciple of Dr. Udayraj Karpur and maestro Pt. Abhijit Banerjee under whom he continues his advanced training in tabla. Ajay is an engineer by profession.
Ajay has accompanied various artists in India and Bay area such as Ustad Rais Bale Khan, Ustad Hafiz Bale khan, Nachiketa Yakkundi, Nandini Rao, Manoj Tamhankar, Saxophonist E R Janardhan, Reshma Bhat, Jeff Whittier and many more. Consistently performs with the well-known bay area Kathak artist Jaya Sharma. He has also accompanied Tabla for various Dramas and Bands performed by Bay area and Indian Naatak, Pampa Studios, KKNC, Rang America, Raaga and KKNC organizations.
HARINDER SINGH – MANDOLIN (Accompanying Shubha)
Harinder Singh started playing Mandolin since early childhood. He then trained more formally at the age of 15 with Harpal Singh Snehi, a renowned artist in Punjab music industry.
Later he continued training with Mrinal SenGupta (an accomplished Sarod player). He has been performing live as well as studio recordings from the last 15 years and has accompanies many vocalists.
BEN KUNIN – SAROD
Ben Kunin, a sarod player learned his instrument with over 25 years study under the legendary Maestro Ali Akbar Khan at the Ali Akbar College of Music in San Rafael, CA. He also learned tabla from Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri for many years. In 2006 he began training with Pandit Chitresh Das and the Chandam School of Kathak Dance. He performs frequently as a soloist and as an accompanist.
OMKAR BHAVE – TABLA (Accompanying Ben)
Omkar Bhave started learning Tabla at the age of 8 in India from different Gurus belonging to Lucknow and Benaras gharanas.
During this time he also passed 5 levels of Tabla certifications from “Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Sangeet Mahamandal”. Since 2008 he is learning Tabla from Ustad Zakir Hussain.
Omkar also learns Tabla with Salar Nader and Anirban Roy Chowdhary who are all well-known disciples of Ustad Zakir Hussain and Ustad Arshad Syed occasionally. Omkar has performed and accompanied in India and US with many artists.
Unite … Serve … Celebrate…
The India Community Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (tax id #52-2351119)
Made possible by the generous donations of our community.
Love the ICC? Visit these sites and share the love…